Monday, February 17, 2014

Valentine's Day with No Chocolate

Happy Belated Valentine's Day Everyone! Hope every one's day was full of love and light. I thoroughly enjoy the holiday. I get super excited about the gifts that I pick out for the Joes and we go to dinner at Tommy's on Coventry. This year, I decided that their gifts would be sports themed as they are both athletes. I bought them Nike athletic socks in their school's colors (Blue, white and yellow-ish) and they each got a new set of sport earphones. I also wanted to get them gift cards to purchase running shoes for track. I waited until the last minute but Achilles Running Shop was there to rescue me. I paid for the gift card over the phone and they mailed them out to my house. In the meantime, I created a certificate for each of The Joes telling them how much they were getting and the name of the store. I was excited to see that both of the Joes were excited about their gifts. The Biggest Joe had to work so the Littlest Joe and I went to dinner at Tommy's without him. Despite the fact that there are so many vegetarian options, I was still concerned because I would have to resist my desire to get my usual chocolate peanut butter shake. I get one every time I go there. Yesterday, to honor my no meat/no sweet rule, I didn't order a shake. I ordered a Fresh Fruit Freeze made of fruit and 100% pure orange juice. It was pretty good. Of course it wasn't a milkshake but it hit the spot. For an appetizer we shared an order of Broccoli Risso Soup. It's the only food in the world I know has mushrooms in it but eat anyway. It is so creamy and delicious and perfect. For dinner, The Littlest Joe had a burger (that looked delicious) and I had the Jane (an Escarole and Potato pie with Muenster Cheese and Broccoli). We totally skipped dessert. I had no chocolate or sweets all day. At work there were so many. I did feel deprived when I saw a bag of Reese's Hearts. But I am feeling great about my choice. I will not be sugar free forever but I am hoping to be able to have it under control after this hiatus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment