Saturday, August 2, 2014

Free yoga: Tried and Tested

Over the past few weeks, I have frequented as many free yoga classes as I could. The common theme has been the setting. They are always outdoors. There is something perfect about the combination of yoga and nature. I found that many of my balancing poses were done in the grass; and not on my mat. I felt grounded and connected and powerful. Every single outdoor yoga experience has been unique and amazing.

I went to Moonshine Buzz with two friends. We practiced at night under the full moon. Despite being bitten by 1.2 million bugs, it was an awesome experience. There was a great turnout and the energy was high. I learned how to improve my revolved chair pose.

I went to yoga at the Art Museum a few times. The instructors were warm and friendly and eager to assist. There was a variety of fitness levels at the last class I attended and the instructor worked hard to cater to all participants. I also received special help after the class on my upward bow or wheel pose. I have not been able to straighten my arms completely but she gave me great pointers to help work on it.

I went to Northcoast Namaste on Tuesday evening. Yoga on the lake is exactly as you would imagine it. It was serene and perfect. While there were a lot of yogis practicing, there were not a lot of non-participants in the area to drown out the sounds of nature. The only sounds we heard were sea gulls, waves crashing, our own breathing and the instructor. The sun was warm but the grass was cool. The atmosphere was calming. It is a most perfect location for yoga.

I also practiced at Edgewater Live on the beach on Thursday. While this is another great location, the atmosphere is not so serene. There are throngs of people. It is very noisy. There are many onlookers. This location is accessible to a variety of people and they are exposed to yoga in a relatable manner and given the opportunity to try it.

I have thoroughly enjoyed all the free yoga and plan to continue, but I know that it is time for me to consider finding a yoga home. I am beginning to feel changes in my body and my abilities and I need to find classes that foster growth in my practice. I have begun looking…

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete