Thursday, June 20, 2013

My pettiest blog post to date...

I was in the gym, with headphones on, minding my own business, when I noticed a fellow watching me on the leg press. I was doing my usual 400 pounds. (I have yet to use the machine with free weights and the highest weight on the machine with pins is 400 pounds.) Anyway, I was pressing away and he was watching away. I felt inclined to toss in a few extra sets for his viewing pleasure so I completed about 10 sets of 10. I had recently cut back to 5 sets of 10 and added a new workout to my leg day routine. I felt he deserved 10 sets of 10. When I got off the machine, I headed to the calf raise machine, not because that comes next in my routine, but because I knew I’d have a good view of the leg press. Sure enough, he hopped on and without one single thought of adjusting the weight, went at it. Of course, he didn’t go too far because he couldn’t lift the weight. At All. I saw him decrease the weight. I was tickled but he WAS working out. Good for him. I did 4 setsof 25 on the calf raise machine and in that time the gentleman gave up and walked over to me. He asked my name and told me his and proceeded to ask how was it possible that I lifted 300 pounds. I politely corrected him and explained that it was 400 pounds. He blew that off and kept asking questions about my strength and insinuating that there was some trick I had used to press this amount. He then said he was amazed that a lady could press 300 pounds. By this time, I felt he was being condescending. I explained again that I had pressed 400 pounds and asked did he need a demonstration. Amazingly, he said he needed to see this. I walked over to the machine, noticed he was pressing 190 and dropped the pin to 400 pounds. I happily pumped away and then explained to him that 190 is a good number and that I sometimes press 190 per leg for a good single leg workout. As petty as this is, I thoroughly enjoy when I can lift more than a young man in the gym. I am not as defined as I would like to be. I am working on that. It is always interesting when someone assumes based on my juiciness that I am not strong and especially fun to prove them wrong. I am developing a love for the weights. It’s a great way to burn calories and strengthen your muscles. Try it!!! You’ll like it! Happy Lifting!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment