Monday, November 26, 2012

Magical Socks

A friend of mine once told me that his wife bought him socks for his birthday. I felt sad on the inside for him. SOCKS... for a birthday present! He could see the shock on my face and went on to explain that these were not just any socks, they were special running socks. I was intrigued but not sold on the idea of magical running socks. The socks he was given were Thorlos. I decided to do some research and perhaps invest in a pair. I have horrible feet. I mean...I have arthritis in both feet and Plantar Fasciitis. I figured that it couldn't hurt to give it a try. I purchased one pair of socks for 13 dollars. Being the big cheapy that I am made this a difficult task. I reluctantly parted ways with my money and walked out of the store with the most expensive pair of socks I have ever owned.  The most horrible part of this process was that the socks were not even cute. They were just plain white socks with a gray heel and toe. I ran outside (as opposed to on a treadmill) for my inaugural Thorlos clad run and I felt the difference immediately. These socks have the perfect amount of cushion to fit comfortably in your running shoes but also swallow your feet in a pillow of love and protection. I noted a significant decrease in the amount of aches I felt while running in the Thorlos. I absolutely love these socks and recommend them to other people all the time. I have a friend who is an avid, daily runner. She says that she is not concerned with "running gear" she just wants to run. She runs long distances and runs them in about 8 minutes (or less) per mile. When she complained to me about foot aches, I suggested Thorlos. She bought a pack of 3 pair on line and now also swears by them. In fact she reports that they are a must have for her runs now. I initially bought my socks at a sporting goods store near my house. The store has since closed. I have not been able to buy them in the store but I have purchased them on line. When I needed to buy some right away, I took a chance on SmartWool. They are similarly priced. The pair that I bought was pink! Cue dance music and balloons for the cute socks!!!  They function much the same as the Thorlos. The difference is that these are made from breathable wool and the Thorlos are cotton. I love them both equally. I would definitely recommend these socks to all those who run, jog, walk, bike or hike!!

No comments:

Post a Comment