Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Women Who Run Race!!




 



 



On Saturday, my younger sister  and I participated in the Women who Run race hosted by Hermes Road Racing.
My sister and I are currently in the process of rebuilding our relationship. I wanted to share my love of running and fitness with her and I thought this would be an awesome opportunity for us to bond over a common goal. I was a little hesitant to ask her because she has asthma. I know a lot of athletes with asthma but her asthma is a special beast. There are times during our conversations when I have heard her struggling for breath. I decided to ask her anyway. She responded without hesitation "I'll try!” I signed up for the 4 miler and she signed up for the 1 miler. On race day, we were informed that the 4 miler had been changed to a 5K. I didn't mind at all! The atmosphere at this race was amazing!! There were women of all different ages and abilities. There was a 76 year old woman who ran this race and had run a half marathon the previous week! There was also a huge group of Black Girls Run runners there representing in their black and pink and Black Girls Run Tees. What an inspiration! The Women who Run race was quite an empowering run. My sister finished her mile run in about 12 minutes. What an awesome feat for someone who does not run often! My goal for this race was to have fun and to run the race in sub 10 minute miles. My time was 31.25! I met my goal and PR'd for the 5K. Upon finishing the race, each runner was greeted by one of many firefighters who were handing out medals. We also received a feminine cut race tee in our race bags. How cool is that! No boxy tee this time! A cute fitted tee!!!!  I am hopeful that this race becomes a tradition in our city as there are a great many women in our area who run and love it!!!


Me and My Joes after the race


My sister and Me with our medals!

 
Black Girls Run! Cleveland

 






Me and Rebecca (a running Amiga)



No comments:

Post a Comment