Sunday, February 10, 2013

How I lost weight on a cruise...

On the running deck
The Joes and I took a 7 day cruise on Norwegian Cruise Lines in December to Mexico, Honduras and Belize. I was afraid that this trip would be a fitness setback for me. I love food and I have no restraint. I will eat and eat. I eat when I am not hungry. I eat because food looks appealing. I love to eat. A cruise is all you can eat goodness all day and night long. The first step in fighting the bulge on my cruise was to plan ahead. I packed a running skort or shorts for each day, my Brooks, running socks, workout shirts and my trusty CamelBak. I forgot the armband for my phone in the car. That was a downer. I hate running with something in my hand! I talked with the Joes beforehand about what excursions we wanted to go on. Every excursion we chose required movement! I also made a decision prior to getting on the ship to only drink water and green tea. Once on the ship, the strict water regimen was easy because I am a big water drinker in my everyday life. I had water at every single meal with hot green tea at breakfast and occasionally with snack. There was so much fresh fruit available on the cruise that we probably could have morphed into fruit salads. I ate fresh pineapple, watermelon, apples, bananas, grapes and citrus fruits ALL DAY LONG. While the Joes frequented the ice cream machine, I chose to eat fruit. There were so many healthy choices at dinner in the restaurants and the buffets. I ate lots of broiled fish and vegetarian options. I may have eaten dessert at 5 meals and this includes lunches and snacks. When we were off the ship, soda was super cheap. We found that we could get a glass bottle of soda for 1 dollar. The Joes, of course wanted soda. I brought my CamelBak filled with ice cold water and drank water all day.





Getting moving on the cruise was easy! The first night out, there was a storm so I could not run on the deck. I hit the treadmill for my first vacation run. I ran outdoors on the outdoor track a couple of other times. J2 and I had planned to do yoga together on the cruise but found once we went to sign up, that she was too young. Since she could not do it, I chose not to either. We were active together during our excursions. Our first excursion was in Costa Maya. We went snorkeling at the Meso-American Barrier Reef. The second largest corral reef system in the world. I am a swimmer, but jumping down into the middle of the ocean was a bit frightening. The idea that I was in the middle of the ocean made me very anxious. The Joes had no such anxiety. They jumped off the boat and immediately began swimming around. Eventually I got used to being in the water and enjoyed myself. We spent about an hour and a half swimming in the ocean. What great exercise! My buns felt very sore afterwards. The Joes took a few underwater pictures.




J2 and I/J1 was the photographer
Our next excursion was the Mayan Ruins in Belize City, Belize.  We rode a van to the ruins with a few other tourists. We had the opportunity to see the city and the countryside and learn a lot about the history of the country. A friend of  mine had visited the ruins in another country previously and had warned me that we could not climb them. I was prepared for this, but was pleasantly surprised to find that we could climb these ruins. Climbing the ruins was like doing the Stairmaster for a prolonged period of time! We were worn out after our day at the ruins!


Me, J1 and J2 after climbing the ruin below. Human sacrifices occurred in this very spot!!

J1, J2 and I after climbing the ruin below (see the ruin above in the background?)




In Roatan, Honduras, the Joes went ziplining. I am afraid of heights and decided to just cheer them on. I thought I would try it...I had been trying to get my mind ready for it since we booked our cruise. I just could not bring myself to do it. J1 is mad that I do not have great pictures of him. He went first and I did not catch him doing tricks and then he lost his shoe and became a bit nervous. The Joes had a blast and I just petted some monkeys...The monkeys made me happy...


J1 and J2 about to zipline. They look like they are on a mission.

 J2
J2

J1/Notice he is shoeless
J1


Me and a cutie monkey

We did not do an excursion in Cancun. We walked around the city, shopped and ate. When we got back to the ship, I hit the running deck and the kids parted ways to hang with kids their own age. We had an excellent time on our cruise. When we got back, so many people were asking had I lost weight that I decided to weigh myself. I have not seen the 120s in many years, but I was down to about 129 when I got back from the cruise. I didn't starve myself. I tried new foods. I had an awesome time. And I lost weight!!!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you, Renessa! You made excellent choices and it payed off! Looks like you and your family had an awesome vacation!

    Carla Sledge (BGR! Cleveland)

    ReplyDelete