Sunday, March 10, 2013

Accomplishing goals...

In December of 2012, I cleaned out my cubicle. I packed up 4 and a half years of pictures, notes and junk and took it home. I had not found a job but I was determined to do so. I set a goal at the beginning of the year to not be employed at my job on Sept 2, 2013 (The 5th anniversary of me starting my job).  I was working for an insurance company as a social worker but was not doing any thing remotely social work related. I had also been assigned a new supervisor whom I had no respect for. I needed a new job so I started looking for a social work position.  Last month I was hired by a hospital system here in Cleveland, Ohio working in an outpatient HIV/AIDS clinic. People consistently ask me about how difficult my job is. This line of questioning is confusing for me. I don't find that I am working with a difficult population or that it is depressing. Daily I see the advances in care for persons with a diagnosis of HIV/AIDS. I see hope and perseverance. I see people who would have had no chance had they been diagnosed in the 80s living for decades with the diagnosis now. I see people dedicated to research to find treatment and answers. I see that fewer babies are being born with HIV due to aggressive treatment. I am so excited to work in a position where my mission is to help people who genuinely need it and appreciate it. Friday was the end of my 3rd week of work at my new job and I am optimistic about this opportunity. The one draw back to my new position is that I am getting used to new hours. I work until 5, and despite the fact that I live 15 minutes away from work, it takes about an hour to get home. It has been difficult to fit my workouts in the way I used to do. I would really like to get up in the morning and run, but I have not been able to actually do that. I plan to try this week. I will run during The Joes 30 minute music lessons on Monday and Wednesday. I will have to remember to pack my gym bag so that I am prepared and cannot use not having a chance to get dressed before lessons as an excuse. I am going to run outside at least one morning this week.I will do my usual weight training in the gym. I have been consistently squatting 100 pounds. I squat 5 sets of 8. I have also been pressing 400 pounds on the leg press consistently. I have discontinued starting the leg press on lower weights and have been doing 10 sets of 10 on 400 pounds. It is now time to switch machines as 400 pounds is the heaviest weight I can press on this particular machine. This is pretty exciting for me. I have made a lot of changes so far this year. I look forward to many more! This will be a year of change for me!!!

2 comments:

  1. Nice to have a job you enjoy. Your helping people that need help, your a special person. Having a job that you enjoy make's life that much move enjoyable. Keep up the good work and good luck in Cleveland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very very nice to enjoy your job. Thank you for the compliment and for reading my blog!!

      Delete