Tuesday, July 31, 2012

My kids are not responsible for my doughy middle...

I always cringe when I hear folks say that they sacrificed their dreams for their children. I guess it's a parenting choice. Neither way is right or wrong. I have chosen to not attribute any of my shortcomings or failures to my children. I imagine that it must be a great burden for a child to bare. Imagine thinking: My mom never finished college because of me or my mom has extra weight around her midsection which leads to higher rates of heart disease because of me... SCARY STUFF!!!!



When I go to my kids school I am always met with visions of moms who have given up on the idea of fitness. I have some mom friends who attribute their doughy middles to the births of their middle school aged children and proclaim that there is no time for them to work out. I will just go ahead and admit the following fact for all of us: My kids are not responsible for my doughy middle. I know that this is shocking considering they are 14 and 11 years old. In reality, I have a doughy middle because I have not been as committed to my own personal fitness as I should have been. It is my responsibility to hang around for a while to be a parent to my kids. I have control over my physical being and have decided to make an effort to set an example of wellness and fitness for them. When I started running, I included my children. I ran with my son who pushed me to run faster. I included my daughter in races which brought us a little closer together. I am working to teach my children that fitness is a lifestyle. I have decided to take back control of my life and my health. Every day I am more amazed at what my body can do and I look forward to learning all that I am capable of!

No comments:

Post a Comment